Making a Complaint against a Facility

When You Have a Problem

If you know or believe a facility is breaking licensing laws, or not caring for residents like they should, you should file a complaint with Community Care Licensing (CCL).  When you report a complaint to CCL, you can remain anonymous, unless you give CCL permission to disclose your name. When you report problems in assisted living, you help protect not only your own family member, but the other individuals in the same care facility.

How to Make a Complaint Against a Licensed Facility:

You can make a complaint to CCL in two ways:  by phone and by the mail. 

  • 1-844-LET US NO (1-844-538-8766), or

  • Write your complaint, including the facility name, what happened, the date when this happened, who was there, if anyone was hurt, and mail it to your local CCL Regional Office. In San Diego County, the complaint report should be mailed to:
Department of Social Services
Community Care Licensing Division
7575 Metropolitan Drive, Suite 109
San Diego, CA 92108
Attention: Kimberly Lyon, Regional Manager

Reporting Elder Abuse:  If You Think Sexual, Physical, Neglect or Financial Abuse has or is occurring:

  • If there is active harm being done, immediately call 9-1-1.
  • Long Term Care Ombudsman's office at 800-640-4661. 
  • San Diego District Attorney's Elder Abuse Prosecution Unit: (619) 531-3342
  • Call local law enforcement:  
    • City of Carlsbad Police Department Hotline: 760-931-2197
    • Chula Vista Police Department: 619 691-5151
    • Coronado Police Department: 619 522-7350
    • El Cajon Police Department: 619 579-3311
    • Escondido Police Department: 760 839-4722
    • La Mesa Police Department: 619 667-1400
    • National City Police Department: 619 336 4411
    • Oceanside Police Department: 760 435 4900
    • San Diego Police Department: 619 531-2000 or 858 484-3154
    • San Diego County Sheriff's Department: 858 565-5200

How to Make a Complaint Against an Unlicensed Facility:

If you know or believe that a facility is unlicensed and you are concerned about possible abuse and/or neglect, you should immediately report this information, by phone, to:

  • ​​Adult Protective Servicesplease phone 800-510-2020 (within San Diego County) or 800-339-4661 (outside the County), or
  • Community Care Licensing: 1-844-LET-US NO   or   1-844-538-8766      or 619 767-2300 and ask for the Duty Officer 
  • California Department of Justice:
​Office of the Attorney General
600 West Broadway St, Suite 1800
San Diego, CA 92101-3702
(619) 736-9000