Shopping for an assisted living placement is time-consuming. We hope these resources make your search easier. In this section Checklists are suggested to help you evaluate a facility's features, along with information on understanding what you can expect from an assisted living provider. There are also many resources for seniors and their families available at state agencies: we have provided links to some of those. And because veterans are such an important demographic in San Diego County, this site offers links to the many online resources for veterans and their families. The County of San Diego Health & Human Services, Aging & Independence Services offers many services and educational resources for seniors.
Checklists as Helpful Tools
Checklists are useful tools to make sure you ask all the questions you want to ask. The checklist will also help you think of other questions you may want to ask. They can help narrow your choices, letting you keep track of what you like and don't like in a facility. Each link gives a different point of view on what to look for. All are free to you.
- AARP Assisted Living Checklist
- Argentum Assisted Living Community Evaluation Checklist
- CANHR's Evaluation Checklist
- CARR's Facility Evaluation Guide, Page 1, Page 2
- AARP's Assisted Living & Long-Term Care Price Calculator
Understanding the Assisted Living Care Model
These resources give you more information about what you can, and should, expect from a California assisted living facility.
- Types of Care at a Glance, by CalQualityCare.org, affiliated with the California Healthcare Foundation
State Resources for Seniors
The State of California offers many resources for older adults and their families. If you understand the issues, and know what programs and services are available to older adults, you can better manage your loved one’s care.
- RCFE Licensing and State Regulations, from Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing
- Seniors Information Center, from the California Department of Insurance
- Programs and Services offered by the California Department on Aging
Resources and Links for Veterans
Veterans hold a special place in the hearts of San Diegans. There are many available programs to meet the specialized needs of veterans and their families. Here are links to county, state and federal resources for aging veterans and their families. It is important to assure that your veteran loved one gets all the benefits and services they are entitled to, so spend some time browsing these websites to learn about the many benefits and opportunities
- Veterans Services, offered by the County of San Diego
- Programs and Services for Veterans offered by the California Department of Veterans Affairs
- Health Programs for Veterans offered by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Benefits for Elderly Veterans, U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Geriatric Care for Veterans, U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Long Term Care in San Diego County
Learn more about other care options:
Looking to live independently in a group home? Please refer to the County-sponsored Independent Living Association. The directory at this site will help you select an appropriate Independent Living location within your price range.
- (IHSS) In-Home Supported Services offered by the County of San Diego for eligible seniors.
Skilled Nursing Facilities
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), Nursing Home Compare Website has detailed information about every Medicare and Medicaid-certified nursing home in the country.
Aging & Independence Services (AIS), County of San Diego
AIS provides services to older adults, and adults with disabilities and their family members, to help keep clients safe and thriving. AIS promotes health and vital living, and publicizes positive contributions made by older adults and persons with disabilities.
- For more information about AIS' services call 1-800-510-2020
- Outside of San Diego County, call toll-free 1-800-339-4661
- Also visit their informative website.